Compassion is a Verb (Love Beyond Politics)

Look at me.

Are you sitting down?

Because I'm about to say something inherently sacrilegious for an American.

I don't care who you vote for. I can't judge your politics. And my affection for you isn't lessened by something so absurdly fickle as opinion.


Image Source: NPR
For anyone outside the States -- if you haven't already heard the commotion and called the police out of concern -- 2016 is an election year. A time for all of us to come together as a nation and decide how best to yell at each other. Things get pretty heated. The news gets nastier and acquaintances begin side-eyeing you like a can of meat with no expiration date. (You might be one of those people from the other side of the aisle. Do they really want to subject themselves to something so potentially horrid?)

Having been through a few of these now, I'm adult enough to realize that literally no one needs my input on their choices, political or otherwise. Which actually works out great because mud-slinging debates and even mud-slinging interventions are pointlessly dirty, and I have enough unwashed laundry as it is.

The internet has enough darkness without any of us adding to it, I should think.

So I'd like to offer a political/apolitical post of support and affirmation for people on every side.

Not that anyone actually needs it, I just... kinda like the idea of leaving it here.




  1. Life is rarely easy. And when the living is hard, you earn the right to view the road before you through your own lens. 
  2. It's okay not to guess at your neighbor's life experiences. 
  3. It's okay to ask them not to guess at yours.
  4. You're incredible for participating in the difficult process of citizenship.
     
  5. Duly so for surviving the media storm (the one elevating discourse to a frenzy) while continuing to manage your day-to-day life. Remind yourself that the parties involved get paid to do this. For you, the lawn doesn't stop growing and the bills don't stop demanding attention for 16 months every 4 years. Your mental workload just went through the roof, and you're handling it like a champ.
  6. When the dust dies down, I'll still be me, and you'll still be you. Because we're awesome like that.
  7. I think we can all agree that the renewed interest in Canada is pretty cool, right? Hello, to our friendlier continental pals!
  8. Can we also all agree that the HarperCollins and Megyn Kelly book deal was just a wee bit on the ridiculously high side? The number puts her in the top .01% of like... nearly every author ever. Holy politics, Batman.
  9. Your zest for your candidate is wicked (in the best sense), and no one should ever be ashamed to celebrate the things they love.
  10. Whenever you can, be kind.
    To yourself, most of all. Have compassion for people you know and those you don't. Remind yourself that we all want the same things, deep down. And whenever that's hard... just remember that you only have to survive 222 more days of this. People have survived drifting lost on the ocean for longer than that. 


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. #10 is my favorite as well. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. I like # 10 as well. Scratch the fact that its the only one I'm old enough to understand. I still can appreciate it.
    (v-v politics)

    ReplyDelete

Leave ye scrawlins 'ere, but mind that ye treat one another wi' decency, yeah?